Wednesday, March 7, 2012

New York, New York that...


I love that song from Frank Sinatra.  Just got back from New York.  It is such a great city.  A lot of culture and diversity.  Attended the National Art Educators Association conference.  I learned some new things and was able to see one of the most famous artists of our time Chuck Close.  He spent about an hour talking about his life and his work.  I did not know that he has some disabilities and was surprised to see him in a wheelchair when he talked to the crowd.  The room was packed at the New York Hilton, standing room only.  It was a great experience to see an artist of his caliber in person.  I have used his work as examples in my lessons and seeing the man who created the work was an awesome experience.  He was very personable and candid and was humorous as well.  I also saw two of my colleagues from NIU present on various topics.  They both did a great job.  It was also great to see people that have either graduated or moved on to different schools and to reconnect with them.  I always look forward to attending the conference each year.  I plan on presenting next year at the conference, I just need to figure out what I will talk about.  Any suggestions?  I have also posted a few pictures of chuck close and his work and also a short video from the conference.  Look for more to come soon.  Enjoy and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment